WorldAllDetails Logo


Travel Europe Romania The medieval fortress of Romania - Brasov

The medieval fortress of Romania - Brasov

Brasov, Romania, Black Church panoramic view

Brasov was a medieval fortress several hundred years ago. From the fortress survived the White Tower, Black Tower, The Graft Bastion, the Drapers Bastion, Bastion, Ecaterina Gate, The Black Church and several others, built and maintained by crafting guilds. Brasov, also known as Kronstadt or Corona, was a famous handicraft center.

In the fourteenth century in north-western city were built a defensive wall and a channel called Channel Graft. Weaver's Bastion is located in the southwestern city. This stronghold was built and defended by weavers in the city.

Drapers Bastion defended southwestern city of Brasov in the sixteenth century. He was then entrusted to defend the goldsmith guild before being handed the Drapers Guild.

Graft Bastion was erected in the fifteenth century by the guild harness. This bastion connects the White Tower and defense premises, or the northern corner of the city.

Catherine's Gate was built in 1559 by Johannes Benker and it is the best preserved gateway to the city.

Black Tower was built in 1494 on Warthe Hill, and it got this name because on 23 July 1559 was struck by lightning and burned.

White Tower was also built in 1494. It is 18 to 20 m tall and is one of the most beautiful monuments of the city.

The oldest part of the Schei district is dominated by the Church of St. Nicholas (it was built between the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries), one of the oldest Romanian Orthodox churches. Also, located in the church yard is the building of first Romanian school (1495), today turned into a museum and statue of the first printer of books in Romania, Coresi deacon.

Originally known as St. Mary's Church, Black Church, built between 1385 and 1477, is the most representative monument of Gothic art in Romania. Its dimensions are 89 meters long, 38 meters wide, 21 meters high and 40 meters indoors outside. In this church fits about 5,000 people, about how the city's population was at that time. It was called the Black Church after the fire of 1689, when it was badly damaged. It was rebuilt with the help of foreign craftsmen who built new vaults in Baroque style, not Gothic style like were before the fire. Current Shrine of the Black Church is built in Neo-Gothic style and is dated 1866.

Black Church is known for his organ with 4,000 pipes, the largest in south-eastern Europe and for the bronze bell who weighs 6 tons. In the Black Church is the largest collection of oriental carpets in South East Europe, consisting, in major part from donations of visitors.